Mmmm lasagna…one of the world’s greatest comfort foods! After a week of simple, quick dinners (hello, peanut butter sandwiches and scrambled eggs), I was craving something homemade last night. I had a little extra time since it was Friday and I could leave work earlier, so I ran as fast as I could to Monoprix to pick up the ingredients for this easy veggie lasagna.
I used this recipe as a guide, but ended up making a ton of changes as I prefer a larger variety of vegetables in my lasagna. Also, the proportions seemed a bit off so I adjusted based on what I thought seemed normal…luckily, it turned out great! Even meat-lover A thought it was good and found the veggie lasagna “substantial”…he even had two portions!
I’m not a huge fan of ricotta cheese so I cut back on that a bit and I’m really glad I did. I suppose you could use light mozzarella and part-skim ricotta to make this lighter, but with the ongoing battle to find reduced-fat cheese in Paris, I decided to go for the regular cheeses.
Even so, this recipe made 4 servings with around 370 calories per portion. I went French style and served it with “salad,” aka lettuce (rocket, actually) and it was plenty for me.
Easy vegetarian lasagna
Time: 1.5 hours
120 grams White mushrooms
50 grams Oyster mushrooms
110 grams Zucchini (one small)
30 grams Red bell pepper
20 grams Green bell pepper
1 small onion
1 clove Garlic
½ t Dried basil
½ t Dried oregano
1 tbsp Olive oil
190 g Pasta sauce (1 jar)
115 g Mozzarella cheese, chopped (1 ball)
100 g Ricotta cheese
1 large Egg
4 pc No-boil lasagna noodles
6 tsp Freshly grated parmesan
1) Preheat oven to 350 F / 175 C. Chop the vegetables and garlic and sauté in olive oil in a medium saucepan for about 10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and zucchini is tender.
2) Add the pasta sauce and spices and simmer, covered, for around 15 minutes.
3) Combine the mozzarella, egg, and ricotta and mix well.
4) Spread a spoonful of the vegetable/sauce mixture in the bottom of an oven dish (I used a 9×9).
Make a layer of 2 lasagna noodles (break if necessary), then a layer of vegetables, then a layer of cheese. Repeat. Top with grated parmesan cheese.
5) Bake uncovered for about 50 minutes, or until noodles are done.
Nutrition info available here
Enjoy! What are your favorite healthy comfort food recipes?