Living in Paris during a heat wave is a challenge, mostly because hardly any buildings have air conditioning! Even clothing shops and supermarkets are often even warmer inside that outside, which means that it’s pretty impossible to escape the 95 degree temperatures.
When it’s that hot outside, even the idea of turning on my stove or oven makes me start sweating. We still have to eat, though, so I’ve been experimenting with different healthy summer salads.
Taziki is already known and loved by all for being a great, protein-filled dip for veggies or sauce for chicken or fish. It’s one of my favorite healthy party snack foods…I love the flavor so much that I could sit and eat the dip with a spoon.
So then I started thinking…why not?
Instead of using a blender to purée the cucumber like in a typical Taziki sauce or dip, I decided to make Taziki in salad form.
It was super easy to make, but I didn’t quite get all of the water out of the cucumbers before adding the yogurt. After the salad set in the fridge for a few hours, I had a watery layer that I had to pour off before serving. Next time I’ll be a little more patient!
Taziki inspired salad
– 450 grams cucumber, peeled and sliced (from one enormous cucumber or two small cucumbers)
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 250 grams greek yogurt
– 1.5 t lemon juice
– 0.5 t fresh chopped dill
– 2 t fresh chopped mint
– 1 t fresh chopped chives
1. Press all excess water out of the cucumbers with a paper towel. Let sit in a colander for at least 30 minutes to drain further.
2. Drain the excess whey off of the Greek yogurt. Blend the yogurt, lemon juice, and herbs until well mixed.
3. Stir the cucumber into the yogurt mixture.
4. Let chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with fresh mint or dill if desired.
Calories per serving: 206
Complete nutritional info